Adopt London is taking part in the #YouCanAdopt campaign to dispel myths and share some amazing stories of people who have already adopted. We hope the campaign will help you realise adoption could be right for you.
The heart of adoption in London
To find out more about adoption, please sign up to join a virtual adoption information event with one of the Adopt London Regional Adoption Agencies. The sessions are informative, and you can ask your questions to a social worker. You can join an online Meet The Adopter event to find out what it’s really like to adopt a child, right from the adoption process through to living life as a new family.
Who can adopt?
The campaign #YouCanAdopt launches as the number of adoptions in England has fallen by a third in the past four years.
- Your gender, relationship status, ethnicity, age, religion or sexuality doesn’t matter, if you can love and care for a child, #YouCanAdopt
- Adopting a child is rewarding and life changing, there may be a few bumps in the road but the support is available. Every child needing adoption has a story, but their future can be changed for the better, #YouCanAdopt
- The adoption process has changed over the years and ultimately, most people can have the qualities to be a good parent and the campaign wants to support you to feel confident that you are capable to adopting, #YouCanAdopt
At Adopt London, we especially need families able to adopt our children from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, as these children traditionally wait longer to start their new life with an adoptive family. Families need to be able to offer love and care to these children, and be able to promote their culture and background. We also need families able to consider older children, sibling groups and those with complex health needs or a disability.
To help shine a light on the diverse range of families who can adopt, a new film has been released featuring families who are encouraging others to think about adoption. You can find out more about the # You Can Adopt film in our blog.
Talking about adoption
A new podcast series is also being released, featuring famous voices such as Anna Richardson, Sinitta, Harry Derbidge and Annie Price, who talk to families about the adoption process and the journey they took to adopt their children.
A survey of adults who have already adopted showed;
- more than two thirds (66%) of people said a loving home and to be able to provide stability are the two most important things a person needs before adopting a child*
- Almost half (44%) of people said their adopted child felt like part of the family within just a month*
- and of the respondents that had biological children as well as an adopted child, three quarters (75%) reported a strong relationship between the siblings*
The adoption process has evolved over the last few years; it is simpler and quicker than it has been previously and there is a lot more support available with over three quarters (76%) of adoptive parents finding the support and resources helpful.*
* Adoption UK. The Adoption Barometer (July 2019)
Ready to speak to someone?
Let us help you to find the advice you need